Kindergarten Incursions by Leaf, Root & Fruit are a fantastic way to provide children with opportunities to explore and discover edible gardening. We provide a variety of verbal and visual mediums to support the children in developing an understanding of the fundamentals of the growth process. This understanding can then be linked to concepts such as, the origins of our food, seasonality and nutrition. We work with the children and the teachers to implement a program which supports the existing class Educational Program.
Prior to running the Kindergarten Incursion, Educators will be provided with a program outline, including aims and expected outcomes allied with the National Quality Framework. The outline provides possible areas of exploration for Educators to include in their Educational Programs both before and after the incursion.
Leaf, Root & Fruit can provide a variety of learning experiences and programs that are tailored to the specific needs of the individual Kindergarten or Child Care Centre. We conduct incursions in centres across the greater Metropolitan Melbourne Region
Single Visit Kindergarten Incursion Program
A single visit, one hour program can include the following experiences:
- Group discussion on origins of our food, exploring an understanding of where our veggies, fruit and herbs come from
- Group discussions of the fundamentals of the growth process, with the use of actions, poetry and songs to facilitate the learning process
- Planting an edible seed in a pot to take home (with supporting plant care instructions for the child and family)
- Decorating a bag in which to carry the pot, so the soil doesn’t get spilled on the way home
The cost of a single, one hour visit is $250 (inc. GST) for classes of up to 25 children. Any children over this number will be an additional $10 per child. This cost of the program is all inclusive and covers the materials for the children’s take home seed.
Double Visit Kindergarten Incursion Program
A double visit program is based on two separate, one hour visits to the Kindergarten/Child Care Centre. This is usually on consecutive kinder sessions, or else within the space of a week. This double session is ideal if the kindergarten has garden beds that can be planted out as part of the program. We feel it is important to use both seeds and seedlings, when planting garden beds, with children. Through using seeds the children have the opportunity to experience growing their own food right from the beginning. We also feel it is important for the children to have the opportunity to handle and examine seedlings and its features such as roots, and stems. This supports their understanding and develops confidence in handling plants.
Session one can include the following experiences:
- Group discussion on origins of our food and exploring an understanding of where our veggies come from
- Group discussions of the fundamentals of the growth process with the use of actions, poetry and songs to facilitate the learning process
- Planting an edible seed in a pot to take home (with supporting instructions for the child and family about how to care for it)
- Decorating a carry bag in which to place the pot so the soil doesn’t get spilled on the way home
- Group discussion allowing the children to decide on which plants they would like to grow in the kindergarten veggie patch, with guidance on seasonality.
Session Two can involve the following activities:
- Revisiting our discussions from session one, including singing and actions to reinforce understanding of the concepts previously explored.
- In small groups of four or five, children are given the opportunity to plant both seeds and seedlings in the garden beds.
- During the session, the children are encouraged to examine the seedlings and identify parts of the plants such as roots, stems and leaves. We revisit the function of each plant part, relating it back to the requirements for plant growth: water, sunshine, dirt and air.
The cost of two separate one hour visits are $450 (inc. GST) for classes of up to 25 children. Any children over this number will be an additional $15 per child. This cost of the program covers the materials for the children’s take home seed in session one. Because kindergarten veggie patches can vary in size and requirements, planting materials such as soil, trellis, seeds and seedlings for session two are not covered in this cost. We can provide you with a quote for these materials based on individual requirements.
Other incursion options
We can tailor make incursions to include activities such as:
- Setting up and using worm farms
- Scarecrow making
Please contact us to discuss these options further. Prices for these incursions are set in accordance with the Kindergarten’s requirements and materials involved.
Kindergarten Edible Garden Design, Set-up and Maintenance
Our Kindergarten services are not limited to incursions and learning programs. Leaf, Root & Fruit have experience with setting up edible gardens in Kindergartens. We can help you with:
- Edible Garden design
- Construction of raised veggie garden beds
- Supply and delivery of all materials (including soil, mulch, trellis, seedlings and seeds)
- Planting out of garden beds, which is usually done with the children and incorporated into an Incursion program
- Return seasonally to maintain the garden and run follow-up sessions
- Ongoing, routine garden maintenance and watering during the term and over the school holiday period.
Prices for these services are set in accordance with site requirements.